1.  Topical Spot-on Insecticides

2.  Prescription Human Medications (Antidepressants, etc.)

3.  Household Cleaners & Products

4.  Lilies & Cut Flowers

5.  Insoluble Oxalate Plants (Diefenbachia, Philodendron, and other houseplants/soil etc.)

6.  Cold & Flu Medication (Tylenol, etc.) and over-the-counter human medications

7.  Human & Veterinary NSAIDs

8.  Glow Sticks

9.  Mouse & Rat Poisons/Baits

10.  Lawn & Garden Products such as fertilizers and weed killers



1.  Garlic – all forms.

2.  Onions & Onion Powder, Chives – all forms.

3.  Cheese & Milk – cats are lactose intolerant; they aren’t able to digest bovine dairy products.

4.  Alcohol – this may seem obvious, however, cats love to sample anything that is left within their reach; even a tiny amount is toxic and can cause coma or death.

5.  Raisins and Grapes – these can cause kidney failure in cats.

6.  Coffee, Tea, Cocoa, Cola, Caffeine — these can be fatal in cats depending on the amount; which is true for any caffeinated beverage.

7.  Chocolate – any kind of chocolate can be lethal due to methylxanthines; dark chocolate and unsweetened baking chocolate being the most toxic.

8.  Candy, Gum and Foods Sweetened with Xylitol – Xylitol sweetens “diet” foods and can lead to liver failure, and possible death.

9.  Scraps & Bones – avoid giving cats meat or chicken scraps from your dinner plate or meat served to humans; cooked bones splinter and can cause serious injury, and possible death.

10.  Raw Fish & Meat – inappropriately stored raw meat can lead to food poisoning due to bacteria; certain fish enzymes destroy thiamine in cats which can cause neurological damage, convulsions, and coma.

11.  Raw Yeast Dough – this is toxic due to yeast fermenting, leading to alcohol poisoning and yeast expanding, which if ingested causes severe gastrointestinal pain and problems.

12.  Moldy & Spoiled Foods

13.  Avocados – all parts of the avocado are toxic to cats due to persin, which sometimes can even be fatal.

14.  Kitchen Cupboards – be sure to keep your cupboard doors closed as many commonly used products can be harmful to your cat; store your food in cabinets above the kitchen counter, not in the cabinets above the floor where your cat(s) may be able to open the doors and go inside.



These products are especially dangerous for cats. Keep them secured in cabinets, cupboards, and drawers, not out and accessible for cats to encounter.

1.  Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications (Ibuprofen, aspirin, etc.)

2.  Acetaminophen

3.  Cold & Flu Medications

4.  Antidepressants

5.  Vitamins

6.  Insecticide products for home use

7.  Rat & Mouse Poisons/Bait

8.  Bleach

9.  Disinfectants & Household Cleaners

10.  Fabric Softener

11.  Lead

12.  Mothballs

13.  Lighter fluid

14.  Diet Pills

15.  Anti-Cancer Drugs

16.  Solvents & Paint Thinner

17.  Flea & Tick Products (ONLY Advantage or Frontline, prescribed by your veterinarian, in proper use and dosage)

18.  Liquid Potpourri

19.  Slug & Snail Poison/Bait

20.  Oven Cleaner Sprays

21.  Detergents

22.  Tobacco products of any kind

23.  Drain Cleaners

24.  Fly Bait

25.  Lime/Scale Remover



Keep the following objects off of the floors, tables, and furniture, instead keeping them safe in drawers, cabinets, or put away. These can cause puncture wounds, choking, or colon and internal organ damage to cats.

1.  Loose thread, string, yarns, ribbon, dental floss

2.  Plastic bags & sacks

3.  Grocery or shopping bags with handles – cats can get their head through and choke.

4.  Cat Toys with string, ribbon or tiny objects that can be swallowed

5.  Batteries – especially the small disk batteries.

6.  Jewelry

7.  Sharp Objects (Knives, scissors, razors, needles, etc.)

8.  Dried flower arrangements with small berries

9.  Paper Clips

10.  Hair clips, pins & small barrettes

11.  Glass – if glass is broken, make sure to thoroughly clean the surrounding floor or area.

12.  Coins

13.  Cotton Swabs

14.  Buttons

15.  Holiday decorations, lights, and Christmas tree water



These are the areas of the house where your cat can be seriously injured. Keep your cat away from these places to safeguard your home for them.

1.  Decks/Balconies – consider netting in your deck railings (I did this, it works great) or keep cats off of decks and balconies.

2.  Washing/Drying Machines – cats can crawl into your washer or dryer, so always check both before running them, and keep doors closed when you’re not using them.

3.  Fireplace – if you have a fire going, supervise your cat(s), clean up any exposed ashes as cats can eat them, and keep a screen up to protect cats from touching hot doors with their fur, nose or bodies.

4.  Electrical Cords – cats can be electrocuted if they bite or chew on electrical cords that are plugged in.

5.  Bath Tubs – cats can drown in an unsupervised bathtub.

6.  Toilets – keep the lids down, as cats can drink from the toilet which may have bacteria and germs which can make them sick.

7.  Cabinets, Cupboards, and Drawers – cats can get inside, however, not always back out.

8.  Open Windows – cats can fall and suffer severe injuries, even from just a story or two above the ground.

9.  Garage – cats can get trapped in the garage, hide in a car engine, or find toxic products that are stored in the garage.

10.  Garbage Cans – cats can get stuck in garbage cans, or large containers outside looking for food or scraps.



Christmas Tree

Watch out for tinsel, ribbon and string when decorating your tree. If ingested, these can cause intestinal blockages which require major surgery to extract, and even cause death. Hanging small ornaments toward the middle and top of the tree is safer for your pet as they can be swallowed which also causes intestinal blockage and death. Also, your cat(s) will be tempted to drink the water in the tree pan which contains many toxins and preservatives which are deadly, so replace the water regularly, and be sure to cover the tree holder completely so your cat cannot from drink it.

Holiday Poisonous Plants

Holly, mistletoe,  poinsettia’s, pine needles, and lilies are the most toxic plants of all during the holidays. They cause vomiting, severe diarrhea, difficulty breathing, shock and even death. The Lily family is the most toxic of all plants for cats, which can cause liver and kidney failure or even death within 48 hours if any part of the plant is ingested. Every part of the lily plant is considered 100 percent toxic to cats. Avoid buying them, and if you receive one, consider giving it to a friend or neighbour that doesn’t have cats.

Electrical Cords & Christmas Lights

Holiday lights and electrical cords can cause electrical shock and death if chewed on. Tape down all cords along the floor by completely covering them to prevent any temptation for your cat to chew on them.

Packaging Ribbon

Avoid leaving packaging ribbon on the ground. Try to keep all ribbon and string off the floor by putting it immediately into a paper sack or bag, and dispose of it in the garbage. If ingested, it can cause intestinal blockage requiring major surgery, and can cause death if not promptly attended to.


Keep candles out of reach of cats and stay close to any candles you do burn. The best and safest option is to use battery-operated, flameless candles that are safe for all pets. They are inexpensive, look authentic, and are worry-free!

Toxic Food & Drink

Keep cats far away from high fat foods, turkey bones, chicken bones, fat trimmings, and dark chocolate on your counter or tabletops. Bones can cause choking and death, fat trimmings, and meat can cause pancreatitis, liver disease and internal damage. Further, chocolate can cause difficulty, and rapid breathing, severe diarrhea, and gastro-intestinal distress.

Household Stress

With new houseguests or people coming into your home, along with changes in schedules and distractions that take your attention away – provide your cat with a safe, quiet, secluded refuge far away from all the turmoil, noise, and household traffic. Give them in a quiet room closed off from the hubbub, or an open closet where they can hide and feel safe. Add a cat bed, a feeding area, and begin a feeding routine before your guests tend to arrive, and put a litter box close by — until the guests are gone and the holidays are over.

(I found much of this information online. It’s a compilation from other breeders as well.  Thank you!)


O Canada Ragdolls are beautiful with glowing hearts